Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Simply Sexy Stories Welcomes Genella deGrey!

NG: Today, I'm welcoming Genella deGrey! Genella, what do you enjoy most about being a writer?

GD: The creation of a fictional world is terribly appealing to me – especially when the good guys win in the end. I do believe in the HEA (Happily Ever After.) I've seen twin souls coupled together and the harmony they share is so calming and beautiful. For most, it's probably one of those things that has to be seen to be believed, but it really does exist.

NG: What genre do you write and why?

GD: I write sexy historical romance. Really, I love history. Funny thing is, I didn't love it in high school when they were teaching it to me for free. Honestly, historical dress – or what we refer to as 'costumes' is what attracted me to history. Had they taught history via corsets and bloomers, I would have been enraptured. LOL

NG: That makes two of us! Describe your research process for your historical stories.

GD: Once I fell in love with period costume, I did a few re-enactment events: Renaissance, Regency, and Victorian (British, and the American Old West.) I learned a lot from the people who had been doing re-enactments for years. Afterwards, it was easy to tap into that part of my imagination and sort of, let the characters run a muck. When I come across items that need a bit more technical overview or etymology research, I turn to the invaluable resource that is the internet.

NG: How long did it take for you to become published?

GD: I fooled around and actually finished an entire story back in late 1995, but once I got serious (I think it was around 2003) it took about three years. Everything you need to know about getting published is out there. The networking opportunities through national organizations like RWA and local orgs like GLAWS are priceless. Members are always there to help and answer any questions you may have. Everyone started somewhere. Even your favorite authors sprang from humble beginnings and needed a hand up the ladder to publication. Never be afraid to drop a note to your local writers orgs if you have questions – that is what they are there for – and you'll never meet a more friendly group of guys and gals other than writers.

NG: Great advice! What's the one thing you wished you had known about the publishing world before you got into the biz

GD: Not that this would have swayed me, but internet piracy is a huge concern. I know writers who pay their bills with the sales from their books – and those who steal (yes, downloading a book for free IS stealing) may as well be taking the food directly from the author's children's mouths. Lovers of romantic fiction should know the difference between heroes and villains. Once they understand how harmful internet piracy affects these authors, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they'll change their ways just by being informed that what they are doing is wrong.

NG: Describe your writing process in one word. :)

GD: Unpredictable. Yeah, I'm a pantser for the most part. (In other words, I don't usually plot out a story.)

NG: *g* Fellow pantser here, too. What advice would you share with aspiring authors?

GD: Yes – look up your local writer's guild, if you haven't already. Anything you need as far as tools, networking, conventions, etc. are right at your fingertips. Don't let anyone tell you "This plot has been done before," because how many times have we seen Romeo and Juliet re-told? Tons, but it's the way you tell it that counts.

NG: Let's talk about your latest release, Love Divine. What's this story about?

GD: In the Highlands of Britannia, Aslyn, was raised a Druid by her late mother. Rome has returned, but instead of a legion of solders, a single man comes to the little village of Cardamon Long, peddling a new Roman god.

Ryus Jorian was sent on a mission for the new religion. But instead of a cave of barbaric souls in need of saving, he finds an intelligent, beautiful, hedonistic distraction, who makes him question the very reason for his journey.

NG: Wow! Very interesting! What inspired this sexy tale?

GD: This particular tale came to me in the form of a situation– How must it have been when Rome came in a basically introduced it's "New Religion" to those living within the realm. Then immediately after, Aslyn, my Druid heroine, stepped into my mind with that very quandary.

NG: What’s the one thing readers can always count on when they pick up a book written by you?

GD: Sizzling chemistry between the hero and heroine right from the beginning. I've always had a hard time buying into situations where the H & H hate each other, then at the end of the book, decide they want to be with each other for the rest of their lives. Then again, it might be because I'm a Taurus. LOL

NG: What’s the one thing readers can always count on when they pick up a book written by you?

GD: Sizzling chemistry between the hero and heroine right from the beginning. I've always had a hard time buying into situations where the H & H hate each other, then at the end of the book, decide they want to be with each other for the rest of their lives. Then again, it might be because I'm a Taurus. LOL

NG: Do you have any other hobbies that you enjoy?

GD: Besides reading romance novels, I watch a LOT of movies. We have a HUGE screen Television, and movies are how I unwind at the end of the day. I don't watch TV, but I love motion pictures. Original screenplays, mostly costume dramas (had you any doubt?) and sci-fi. Although there are a few contemporary romantic comedies I enjoy, I like to escape from everyday life into a movie – historical, futuristic . . . or anything Tim Burton. Did everyone see Alice in Wonderland?

NG: I haven't yet, but I plan to! If you could be any mythical/fantasy creature what would you be and why?

GD: Actually, I love Faerys. I have a decent-size collection of Amy Brown prints and would love to live within that magical world.

NG: Her work is amazing! Genella, what do you think is sexy?

GD: Balance is sexy. For instance, a man who is man enough not to insist on rescuing the damsel every single time, and a confident woman who knows when it's time to ask for a rescuing. I find that if both are strong-willed (which is a very good character trait) they may need a nudge or two in the direction of said balance. Therein they will find peace, harmony and love.

NG: Peace, harmony and love...I love that! Thank you so much for stopping by on your blog tour, Genella! I wish you all the best your new release, Love Divine and all future endeavors!

GD: Thank YOU – this was fun! :)

NG: Want to follow Genella deGrey on her blog tour? Join her April 8th here: http://www.loveromancepassion.com/

Readers find a copy of Love Divine here!
Still curious about Genella deGrey? Go to: www.genelladegrey.com. She loves visitors at her cyber home. Stop in anytime and comment on one or more of her pages!


Blurb: 420 A.D., a Druid beauty and a reformed rogue-turned-missionary of the new Roman religion find salvation in each other.

Caution! Hot Excerpt Below!

Reaching up to entwine her arms around his neck, Aslyn’s heart raced when his mouth softly coaxed her lips part. She nearly toppled over when he groaned as her tongue touched his. The wood post which bordered the stable separated their bodies, and Aslyn longed to be rid of the thing.
Suddenly remembering that anyone who had a view of the stable could see them, she broke out of the kiss.
“We shouldn’t be—”
“I know, I’m sorry.”
Aslyn glanced over her shoulder and back up to Ryus. No one was about, but that could change at any moment. Her breath came out in a huff that may have been part laughter. “Let me finish. We shouldn’t be doing this here.”
She saw his eyes light up like flames. “Then where?”
“Come to me after sundown,” she whispered, unable to believe the words actually came out of her mouth. Oh, she was thinking them, but once they passed over her lips, the bones were cast. He would be leaving soon, and it would be good for her to take a few more memories with her to her grave.
Without another word, Aslyn pushed away from the stable fence and headed straight for her lodging.
She paced in her room and wrung her hands, the same way in she did just before she met Ryus in the ancient grove of Ardwinna.
Aslyn almost yelped when he came bursting through her front door.
“You have more faith in me than I do if you think I can wait until sundown.”

Love Divine is available now with Total-E Bound Publishing! Get your copy here!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Nichelle - You were my first.
    Hehe!
    Seriously though, thank you for the interview!
    :)
    G.

    PS, Is anyone going to the Romantic Times Booklover's Convention in late April, or perhaps just the ebook and print book signings on Friday and Saturday?

    If you are, do stop by and say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome, Genella! I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful blog tour with many book sells! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...