Monday, February 14, 2011

Simply Stories Welcomes Rachel Haimowitz!

NG: I'm thrilled to have Rachel Haimowitz guest blogging for Simply Sexy Stories on Valentine's Day! Welcome, Rachel, take it away!

RH: As today is the day of love, and my on-again-off-again SO and I are currently in the “off again” phase, I thought: What better way to spend today than with you, my fellow romance lovers? And what better topic to discuss than the underpinnings of all meaningful relationships: friendship.

As a writer, I’m fairly new to the world of romance. My first book released in August of 2010, and my second this January. I joined Goodreads and Twitter and some Yahoo loops, not knowing what to expect. I was hoping to meet some readers, talk some books. I had no idea how warm and open the M/M romance community would be, or how many wonderful friends I would make. Even fellow authors—especially fellow authors—who could easily have viewed me as competition, instead took me under their wing, gave me their time and expertise and a 3 AM shoulder to bitch lean on when writer’s block or bad reviews or particularly disappointing rejection letters popped up.

The internets are crawling these days with social media and marketing experts, every one of whom insists you must blog and Tweet and Facebook and broadcast yourself to stalkers god knows what else (would anyone like to be the Mayor of my Writing Desk?), all in the name of “building a brand” and closing a sale. That may have been the reason I ventured onto these networks in the first place, but it’s not the reason I stay.

(Brace yourself for a love-fest. Apologies for the inappropriate timing ;-D)

I stay because of writers like Aleksandr Voinov, who vetted a query letter and introduced me to his editor at a publishing house I was hoping to crack—when he barely knew me. And Kari Gregg, who pimps out Counterpoint like she’s getting a kickback. (Easy with the baseball bat, Kari; the check’s in the mail.) And Bryl Tyne, who offered to make me banners and graphics the day he met me in the Noble Romance author loop. I stay for bloggers like Nichelle Gregory, who was so eager to help me promo my new release in any way I could, and all the wonderful folks who stepped up and volunteered to host my blog tour for Anchored in January.

I stay because of artists like L.C. Chase (a talented romance writer in her own right), who generously donated her time and talent to make the gorgeous cover for Sublime: Collected Shorts, which I gave away free for a few months. I stay for readers like SheSwitches and Joellen, my Goodreads forum peeps who know me well enough to know that I don’t like “girl cooties in my smut,” who are responsible for at least 80% of the length of my toppling to-be-read pile, who generously share their thoughts and their lives with me and who so graciously allow me to share mine in return. I stay because of you, because of all of you, who make me feel like this writing thing isn’t so crazy after all. And hopefully, I can do the same in return for all of you.

Blurb:
Network news anchor Daniel Halstrom is at the top of his field, but being at the bottom of the social ladder—being a slave—makes that hard to enjoy. Especially when NewWorld Media, the company who's owned him since childhood, decides to lease him on evenings and weekends to boost their flagging profits.

Daniel's not stupid; he knows there's only one reason a man would pay so much for what little free time he has, and it's got nothing to do with his knowledge of current events. But he's never been made to serve like that before, and he fears he won't survive the experience with his sanity intact.

He finds himself in the home of Carl Whitman, a talk show host whose words fail him time and again when it comes to ordering Daniel to bed. Daniel knows what Carl wants, but it seems as if Carl isn't willing to take it, and Daniel's not willing to give it freely. His recalcitrance costs him dearly, but with patience and some hard-won understanding, love just might flourish where once there'd been only fear and pain. Can Carl become the anchor in Daniel's turbulent life, or will he end up the weight that sinks his slave for good?

(Content warning: This book contains potentially triggering subject matter, including a violent rape that is NOT committed by either hero. Please take heed.)

Anchored is available at Noble Romance Publishing and Amazon.com.
_______________________________________________________________________


Rachel is an M/M erotic romance author and a freelance writer and editor. She originally dipped her toes into cable news and book publishing, decided the water was cold and smelled kinda funny, and moved on to help would-be authors polish and publish, write for websites and magazines, and ghostwrite nonfiction.

Her first novel, an M/M fantasy erotic romance titled Counterpoint: Book One of Song of the Fallen, released in August 2010 with Guiltless Pleasure Publishing. Her second novel, an M/M alternate-history erotic romance titled Anchored: Belonging Book One, released January 17 with Noble Romance Publishing. Her third, Crescendo: Book II of Song of the Fallen, will release in the fall of 2011. In between, Rachel is writing shorts and novellas, including the M/M BDSM collection Sublime: Collected Shorts, and a not-yet-released cyberpunk novella titled Break and Enter, co-written with Aleksandr Voinov.

You can find Rachel tweeting as RachelHaimowitz, chatting in the Goodreads forums, and blogging at Rachel-Haimowitz.blogspot.com. She loves to hear from folks, so feel free to drop her a line anytime at metarachel (at) gmail (dot) com.

NG: Rachel, it was my pleasure to host you and what a beautiful post! I wish you all the best with this release and all your future endeavors!


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY SIMPLY SEXY READERS!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day, All.

    I enjoyed the post; it was great!

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tracey!

    Thanks for stopping by and Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for having me, Nichelle! This post was a ton of fun to write.

    @Tracey, thanks so much for stopping by, and happy belated Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a such an inspiration with your drive, Rachel. Good luck in all your writing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...