Thursday, June 23, 2011

Simply Sexy Stories Welcomes Delaney Diamond!

NG: Today, I’m welcoming Delaney Diamond on Simply Sexy Stories! Hi, Delaney!

DD: Hi Nichelle! Thanks for having me.

NG: It's my pleasure! Let's talk about books. What are you reading now?

DD: I took a break from romance novels and just finished Tryin’ to Sleep in the Bed You Made by Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant. Next I might read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I’ve had the book since last year and the movie’s coming out in the fall, so I need to hurry up and read it.

NG: I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie too! Let's talk about your writing. What genre do you write and why?

DD: I write contemporary romance because those are the novels I like and tend to read most often.

NG: Describe your writing process...are you a careful plotter or laid back pantser?

DD: I’m mostly a pantser. I get an idea in my head, and then I start writing. As it progresses, I organize the story into chapters and name each chapter so I’ll know what happens in each. I keep track of the chapter names in an Excel sheet, which I also use to keep up with my word count. For example, in Fight for Love, the chapters were labeled like this: Chapter 5-Dinner at Parents’ House or Chapter 9-Trip to California.

NG: Has your writing process changed since your first book was published?

DD: When I first started writing, I didn’t write anything down. I completely winged it. LOL. Now I have a notebook I carry around as inspiration strikes me, and the Excel sheet is helpful once I start work on a new project.

NG: What are you working on for the rest of 2011?

DD: Glad you asked! Here’s what I’m working on:
1) The third free read for the Free Reads section of my website.
2) An interracial romance tentatively titled Private Acts. The heroine is Samirah Jamison, Rebekah’s younger sister, who makes a brief appearance in Fight for Love.
3) An African-American romance about Dr. Roarke Hawthorne, who’s shocked to see the woman he spent a passionate night with show up at his sister’s wedding on the arm of his brother.

NG: Ooo...sounds good! Tell me about your new release Fight for Love. What's this contemporary interracial romance about?

DD: It’s the story of Rafael Lopez and Rebekah Jamison. When she was seventeen and he was twenty, they met and fell in love, but her parents didn’t approve. They eloped when she turned eighteen, but their marriage didn’t last because of a tabloid scandal that rocked the wrestling industry. Nine years later, Rafael shows up at Rebekah’s door unannounced, and he finds out he has a son. The fireworks begin from there!

NG: What inspired you to pen this sexy tale?

DD: I wanted to write a story about a professional athlete, and I chose wrestling because I grew up watching it with my father. Writing an opposites attract story was also appealing. Rebekah grew up in a conservative, well-to-do family. Rafael grew up poor and had a roughness about him her parents didn’t like. Their personalities clash because of their differences and the past, but the chemistry and love between them is obvious.

NG: Did you face any creative challenges in the process of writing this book?

DD: There was only one thing I wasn’t sure about. The reason Rafael showed up at Rebekah’s house after all these years is because he found out they’re still married and came to tell her. The challenge for me was to figure out a way that two people could think they’re divorced but are actually still married. Turns out it does happen!

I spoke to an attorney as well as a friend of mine who is a paralegal and they explained how the courts could make such a mistake. It gave me the idea of how to set up a clerical error that kept Rebekah and Rafael married for the past nine years, but they didn’t know it.

I got an earful about the court system, and I’m amazed there aren’t more legal issues caused by human error. Attorneys and paralegals do much more than we give them credit for.

NG: Describe the heroine and hero in three words.

DD: Hero: passionate, possessive, stubborn
Heroine: loving, protective, headstrong

NG: What can readers always count on when reading one of your books?

DD: Lots of sexual tension and an emotional connection between the two leads.

NG: Give me three reasons readers will love Fight for Love.

DD:
1. A sexy, six-foot-three Mexican athlete.
2. The characters are believable and relatable.
3. Good old sexual tension.

NG: Sounds like a TKO! lol...sorry, I couldn't resist! Thank you so much for stopping by Simply Sexy Stories, Delaney!

DD: Thank you for having me! I appreciate it. For readers stopping by, I have a question for you: What traits do you find attractive in the heroes and heroines of the romance novels you read?

NG: I love reading and writing mysterious, commanding, sexy, dangerous heroes! Character traits for the heroine can change depending on the storyline. I like reading about the innocent, shy virgin and I enjoy the defiant, aggressive heroine as well. Way to turn the tables on me, Delaney! :)
Blurb: Science teacher Rebekah Jamison lives a quiet life in the suburbs of Atlanta. Devastated by a tabloid scandal nine years ago, she ended her marriage to the man her parents never approved of. Rafael Lopez, former professional wrestler and “Sexiest Athlete Alive, “regrets the lapse in judgment that caused him to lose his wife. He shows up unannounced one day with some startling news, but he gets a surprise of his own. He finds out he’s a father. To get to know his son, he whisks him and Rebekah off to his home in the Hollywood Hills for the summer.

Warning: Get ready for a sensual battle of wills as a conservative teacher lowers her inhibitions and is reminded of why she fell in love with a sexy bad boy wrestler in the first place.

Caution! Super Sexy Excerpt Below:
After Rafael finds out he’s a father, he surprises Rebekah when he tells her the reason for his visit is to inform her they’re still married. The following is taken from a scene right after that where Rebekah throws the tabloid scandal in his face.

He stepped angrily toward her, but this time, she didn’t retreat. She stood her ground, almost eye to eye with him on the bottom stair. The only indication she was even the least bit disturbed was in the almost unnoticeable tightening of her hand on the balustrade.

“You always could make my blood boil,” he ground out. In more ways than one.
He lowered his gaze to take in the rise and fall of her breasts beneath the pink top. The provocative protrusion of her nipples against the material tortured him mercilessly. The shallow inhalation of her soft breaths teased his senses and stoked the flame of arousal in his loins.

He could clearly see in her face that she was not any more immune to him than he was to her. Without thinking, he reached up to stroke her face, and was rewarded when her hand swatted his away.

“Don’t you dare touch me,” she whispered fiercely, her eyes darkening in anger. Had he imagined the desire he saw smoldering there? “Don’t think for one minute that because of an unfortunate twist of fate that kept us married you have any right to touch me. You gave up that right years ago.”

“I suppose you’ve had plenty of opportunity for exploration since then.” He shouldn’t have mentioned it, but he couldn’t help himself. His stomach muscles tensed as if in preparation for a punch.

“I suppose it’s none of your business,” Rebekah replied with a defiant tilt to her chin.

The irony of the situation wasn’t lost on him. Over the years, he’d used other women to help him get over losing her, yet here he was, torn apart by jealousy at the thought that any other man had touched what was his.

Rebekah took a deep breath. “Let’s get this over with.” She marched up the stairs.
Rafael followed more slowly. He took in the view from a few feet behind her, the curve of her bottom and the shapely brown thighs in a pair of cut-off denim shorts. Thighs he wished he could now slide between and ease this voracious craving for her.
Emblazoned in his mind was the image of her beneath him in their bed, his fingers entwined in the tangled disarray of her long hair as she moaned her encouragement.

He could still hear the sweet words. Mmm…yes, I like that…please…don’t stop…ahh…Rafe…Yes! Yes!

He had been her first. Every chauvinistic bone in his body rebelled against the thought that others had been in her bed and now knew the truth beneath her reserved exterior—that she was a passionate, giving lover. That even though he had prided himself on being her teacher, the exuberance of her responses and sweetness of her touch had wielded substantial power over him.

More than she even realized.

Fight for Love is available now with Amira Press!
Buy Here!

________________________________
Delaney Diamond writes sweet and sensual romance novels with multicultural characters. Read one of her novels to escape reality and fall under the spell of alpha male heroes who fall in love, fall hard, and stop at nothing to have the women they desire. Enjoy free reads on her website.

Curious about Delaney Diamond?
Visit her website: www.delaneydiamond.com

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...