Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Simply Sexy Stories Welcomes Tory Michaels!

NG: I’m welcoming Tory Micheals on Simply Sexy Stories! Hi, Tory!

TM: Yo, what up? Er, sorry, been spending a lot of time in my characters’ heads, and Chris has a tendency to respond in a certain way.

NG: LOL...What are you reading right now?

TM: Several different books: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare; Master of Mine an anthology from Evernight; Brazen Temptress by Elizabeth Boyle; and Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue by Stephanie Laurens. There may be some others, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

NG: Do you have an e-reader? If so, tell me whether it was easy or difficult to adjust to reading digital books. Do you prefer paperbacks?

TM: My Nook (and the Nook app on my phone) are my best friends (well, not really, but you get the idea). How else can I be hauling around 4-5 books at once without needing a book bag? Though, I will admit Clockwork Angel’s a paperback. It was a snap to make the adjustment to Nook. Just getting frustrated with mainstream publishers who are trying to make us pay 10-15 for an electronic book ESPECIALLY if the physical book is only 1-2 dollars more. I understand writers have to be paid, and obviously I’m all for that, but…erm, sorry. That’s a sore point with me right now (there’s a full blown rant on my blog on the topic). I’ll read anything that crosses my path, be it physical or electronic, if it interests me.

NG: I agree, $10+ for an e-book is ridiculous! Okay, you’ve been captured and your captor tells you to choose one book to amuse yourself during your imprisonment...which book would you choose? :)

TM: Just kill me now? Only one book for who knows how long? Yeah, I’d be insane in days. If I had to pick, I’d probably go with something like Gone With the Wind, or something with some serious weight to it. If nothing else, maybe I could use it as a weapon!

NG: Ha ha! What do you think is the biggest misconception about females writing in this genre?

TM: That we’re all shameless hussies who, erm, do naughty things while we’re writing, or that we’re all writing about stuff we’ve personal done (esp. if you write the spicier things).

NG: Yes! I agree that assumption is tiresome. Do the people in your life know about your writing? Are they supportive?

TM: Yes, everyone pretty much knows. Supportive, it depends. I think they’re amused by the notion. Hubby’s definitely supportive, at least as much as he can be. My in-laws…let’s just say I don’t write things they’d read (they’re very religiousy and since I do vampire books…..yeah, not happening).

NG: What advice would you give to inspiring authors interested in penning successful erotic romances?

TM: Don’t forget the romance in the writing. The emotions, the heat, the impact making love has on the characters.

NG: Good advice, Tory. Okay, let's talk about your writing.

TM: Sounds good.

NG: Describe your writing process...are you a careful plotter or laid back pantster?

TM: Pantser, but I wouldn’t say I’m particularly laid back about it. My editor keeps nudging me toward outlining, but nothing makes me more nauseated (except pregnancy) than the notion of an outline. World Bible, that’s a whole different ball of wax. I need to create a world bible for my Dream-Walker War series, but haven’t gotten to it yet. I’m starting to forget little details.

NG: Has your writing process changed since your first book was published?

TM: Not yet, but I hope it will. My first book just came out this month. I’d like to do something so I can write faster (and since I’m now pretty much going the e-book route, figure out how to write shorter than 100k books – ebook audiences seem to prefer the shorter books).

NG: What are you working on for 2012?

TM: Frantically doing edits for book 2 in the Dream-Walker War, which is due out next month.

NG: Let's talk about your new release, Blood Rage (The Dream-Walker War: Book 1). What's this story all about?

TM: Rage is the story of two lovers who were torn apart by a terrible lie 200 years ago, who come back together as a crisis threatens to destroy the 80-year peace between humans and non-humans (vampires, shifters, dhampires and mage-born).

NG: What inspired you to pen this tale?

TM: Dara wouldn’t leave me alone. She and Anthony were role-playing characters of mine many years ago. Add in the fact that I was in the midst of a master’s degree program for public administration and you got the Bureau of Non-Human Affairs to help regulate life in the United States for those who are not human.


NG: Give me three reasons readers will love Blood Rage. 

TM: They have a chance to visit a unique, yet familiar, world with humans and non-humans living freely, there’s a fabulous love story between two strong individuals, and suspense that will keep them turning pages.  

NG: What's the one thing readers can always count on when picking up one of your books?

TM: A little bit of mystery, a little bit of suspense, and passion.

Thank you so much for coming on Simply Sexy Stories, Tory, best wishes for all your endeavors in 2012!
Blurb: For eighty years since the Great Awakening, humans and non-humans have lived in relative peace together. The peace is threatened when three bodies turn up less than a mile from the Bureau of Non-Human Affairs in Tampa, all bearing the signature of vampires who once terrorized Europe. 

The Bureau’s chief liaison to the vampires, Dara MacKechnie, learns that the Tampa victims are not alone when her ex-lover, and head of the vampire’s Great Council, Anthony Caldwell comes calling. The pair discovers the lie that separated them two centuries ago only banked their passion, not extinguished it. 

Dara must decide whether she can trust Anthony with her heart a second time as they try to head off the war that threatens all they hold dear. 

Caution! Scorching Excerpt Below:
He towed her into the bathroom, planting her squarely in front of the mirror. “Look now.”

Her lips tightened, and she shook her head until her hair fell loosely over her chest. The silken tresses tickled her sensitive flesh.

She squeaked in surprise when his palm slapped against her bare backside. It didn’t hurt, but it startled her, coming with no warning as it did. Yet she felt no outrage, only the illicit excitement from the silent warning that she didn’t want to admit, even to herself. “Look in the mirror, and tell me what you see.”

Dara hadn’t spared herself more than the most cursory glance in the mirror since the night Xanthea had let her see exactly what the monsters had done to her, in all its vivid horror, and she didn’t want to look now. The sight of the scarlet stripes across her flesh still haunted her dreams, though she knew intellectually that the marks were long faded.

With reluctance, she lifted her eyes to the mirror and stared at herself. It wasn’t a particularly attractive sight, a chubby, short woman with a gorgeous, long and lanky man. What an obscene mix. He deserved someone like Chris or Verissa.

“I see a dumpy little redhead and a golden ass standing behind her.”

Anthony’s mouth twitched, but no chuckle escaped. “Do you want to know what I see?” One arm swept around her waist, and he rested his chin on her shoulder, dark brown eyes meeting emerald in the surface. He didn’t wait for her response. “I see a woman forever caught in the prime of life, so perfect that none of those stick-figures that model for the lingerie companies can hope to compare to, no matter the implants and hair extensions they purchase.”

Warmth infused her blood as she found herself unable to look away from his face in the mirror while he spoke.

His eyes never left hers as he continued, deep voice caressing her ears as his long fingers circled the tips of her nipples, teasing them until they tightened into taut peaks. “I see breasts that were made for my hands. Not too big, not too little. Just right.”

Dara’s womb tightened, and moisture gathered between her thighs. “Anthony.”

“Shhhh, pet. You said your piece; now I will say mine. We will never mince words, you and I.”

Still his eyes held hers in the glass. She watched, enthralled by the low tones and soothing touch as he traced along the ridge of one of the delicate lines left by one of the monsters from the underside of her right breast until it ended, just below her collarbone.

“Your hair reminds me of the sun as it rises just before a storm at sea, promises of the fire that you make me burn with. An emperor would give his kingdom for emeralds the color of your eyes. And yet those eyes look at me when we are in bed together, and I thank whatever gods you may believe in that it’s me with you, and not some other man.”

A desperate need to touch him rose in her even as her knees weakened from his quiet words. When she would have turned, teeth nipped at her shoulder in warning. “Please?”

“Soon, very soon.”

Dara moaned, hungering for more as his exploring hands made their way down to rest just above the red curls between her legs.


Blood Rage is available now with Evernight Publishing!





Curious about Tory Michaels?
Check out her website/blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...