Thursday, September 13, 2012

Simply Sexy Stories Welcomes H K Carlton!

NG: I’m welcoming H K Carlton on Simply Sexy Stories! Hi, H K!

HC: Hi Nichelle, it’s great to be here.

NG: Let’s start with some H K Carlton trivia questions! 
What’s your favorite time of day? 

HC: Noon. I am not a morning person. The family just tiptoes around me until it’s safe. It takes me all that time to feel human.

NG: Ha! I can relate to that! What’s your favorite place to write?

HC: In bed, with the laptop. But it’s not often that I get to do that.

NG: Me too, H C! What’s favorite season?

HC: I like spring because everything is alive and new again and the temps are not too hot.

NG: What’s your favorite thing about autumn?

HC: The cooler weather and the leaves changing colour. (Yes, I spelled colour with a u. (I’m Canadian, eh!) LOL

NG: :) What’s the craziest thing you’ve done for love?

HC: I left everything that ever mattered to me. I left my family, my friends, the town that I grew up in for my entire life up until that point, and I high-tailed it all the way across the country, right out of high school, for love.

NG: Awww...that's so romantic! What’s the wildest place a story idea has struck you?

HC: I was on a rooftop. (And I won’t tell you what I was doing up there)

NG: Hmmm...I could guess. ;-) What are you reading right now?

HC: I am reading Marian Lanouette’s, If I Fail (A Jake Carrington Mystery) at the moment and I’m loving it.

NG: Do you have an e-reader? If so, tell me whether it was easy or difficult to adjust to reading digital books. Do you prefer paperbacks?

HC: I don’t currently own an e-reader but if this writing gig works out, it is the first purchase I plan to make. So for the moment, I still prefer paperback.

NG: You’ve been captured and your captor tells you to choose either an infinite supply of your favorite drink, MP3 player or your e-reader...which one would you choose? :)

HC: Well, I don’t have an MP3 and I haven’t yet purchased an e-reader, so I’m going with… an infinite supply of Mike’s Hard Lemonade. And I might even attempt to coerce my captor into having a few with me.

NG: LOL! What do you think is the biggest misconception about females writing in this genre?

HC: I think people are under the misguided perception that we have sex all the time or that we are experts on the subject. That just because we write about it, we’ve actually experienced all these shocking and wonderful things that we write about. Sometimes its just imagination. And sometimes its not!

NG: What genre(s) do you write and why?

HC: Erotic romance, historical romance, and contemporary romance. I’m also working on a family saga series. I like a little of everything. That’s why I chose to name my blog Pick a Genre Already, because I bounce around. I’m the same when I read. I’m all over the genres.

NG: Why are you drawn to writing romance?

HC: I think because I’ve always craved that epic kind of love. I blame my parents for that. They had that kind of love. I think I am drawn to it because I want the fairy tale; the happy ending. The ‘I’ve loved you forever and life times before’ kind. Classic Cinderella syndrome, I guess. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t need or want to be rescued but I would like to be someone’s one and only; for all time. And I want that person to feel the same in return. It might sound unrealistic and perhaps it is; but I guess that’s why I write. Anything’s possible within the pages.

NG: Do the people in your life know about your writing? Are they supportive?

HC: There are only a handful of people who know about my writing or that I’ve even been published. A few of them are extremely supportive. If not for them, I would have stopped trying. They were especially supportive when I was discouraged.

NG: What advice would you give to inspiring authors interested in penning successful erotic romances?

HC: Don’t give up. Keep trying. If you get rejected do the research, do the work, make it better until they take notice. Once you’ve made it better, if you get rejected again, send it somewhere else. I have found that eventually if the work is good, it will appeal to someone and it will eventually find a home.

NG: That's great advice, H C. Okay, let's talk about your writing. Describe your writing process...are you a careful plotter or laid back pantster?

HC: I guess I am a laid back pantster. I go with the flow. I let the characters have free reign and see where they want to go. They lead me. I used to write all my work down long hand from start to finish and then I could do a first edit as I was typing it out. But I don’t have time to do that anymore. I only write things down if an idea strikes me and I don’t have access to a computer.

NG: Wow! I'm even more impressed with your completed, published book. How many hours a day do you try to commit to your manuscript?

HC: Lately, not enough. I’ve just finished edits on a historical romance that I have coming out in February 2013 called You Found Me and I also just signed a new contract for my second historical romance slated for an April 2013 release. I’ve also been learning how to tweet and blog. The whole other promotional side of trying to be an author has taken up a lot of time. But when I do write, that’s all I want to do. I don’t want to stop to eat or sleep, do laundry or make supper. I don’t want real life to interfere. How dare it!

NG: I feel the same way. What’s your biggest distraction from focusing on your writing?

HC: Twitter is extremely distracting!

NG: LOL! What are you working on for 2012?

HC: The family saga series that I mentioned. It was my New Year’s resolution to have that series done and ready to submit by the end of the year. It is now September and I have not had time to get back to it, with all the other great things that have come about. I also need to finish up a contemporary romance that has taken the back burner for some months.

NG: You're a busy lady! Let's talk about your latest release Swap. What’s this hot tale all about?

HC: Swap is about, a successful, married journalist, named Hailey, who has a massive crush on her incredibly hot brother-in-law, Mike.

NG: Mmmm...what inspired you to pen this story?

HC: (Smiling) Let me just say that I do have a brother-in-law.

NG: :) Give me three reasons readers will love Swap.

HC: I hope readers will love Swap because I think at one time or another each and every one of us has wanted something or someone that we can’t have or that we know is bad for us. So we don’t pursue that something or someone. And then we look back on it one day and regret it. Hailey explores her options for better or worse, right or wrong.

NG: What's the one thing readers can always count on when picking up one of your books?

HC: Hopefully a happy ending. Although, Swap might not be the happy ending readers might expect.

NG: Thank you so much for coming on Simply Sexy Stories, H K! Best wishes for all your endeavors in 2012!

HC: Thank you so much for hosting me today, Nichelle. It’s been a blast!
Blurb: When Hailey Hollinger was eighteen she thought her boyfriend, Brent, was the best-looking guy around. That was until he introduced her to his older brother, Mike. From that moment on she had the biggest crush on him and he became the star of all her teenage fantasies.

Hailey’s all grown up now and has been married to Brent for three years. They have great careers, a nice house — they enjoy life and each other. Everything is supposed to be perfect. Except for that pesky little infatuation with her husband’s brother has never completely gone away.

A crush, by nature and definition is supposed to be short-lived and should diminish over time. But, unfortunately for Hailey, it hasn’t, and it is beginning to mess with what she thinks should be perfection. And if her life is so great, why does she then find herself groping her brother-in-law in the cab of his truck like some sex-starved teenager? And the biggest question yet —why is he groping her right back?

Caution! Super Sexy Excerpt Below:
He turned to face me and, to my surprise, he reached out and tucked my hair behind my ear. “You’re really lame, ya know?” He laughed at my expense.

“And the eighties lines are alive and well. I know I’m lame, but you love me anyway,” I tossed his words from earlier back at him.

His smile slipped. “Yeah. I do.”

Something in his voice made every body part I owned turn liquid. In my head, I rushed to tell myself that he meant ‘like a brother’ and that he’d had a few beers, but his next words stopped my thought process cold.

“You might be the only thing I’ve ever envied about my little brother.”

He moved his hand to the side of my neck and grazed my cheek with his thumb. Then his lips were there, hovering in front of mine as if he were seeking permission. My senses swam with the possibilities. I pounced, seizing what might be my only opportunity to kiss him. I didn’t hold back — he experienced the full-on, ravenous impact of years of worship and sexual fantasies that had run the gamut from sweet, innocent, eighteen-year-old’s kisses to the tantalizing nocturnal fantasy that I’d created just the night before.

I flattened my chest against his, trying to get inside his coat. He spun me around and nudged me onto the seat of the truck. I didn’t want to separate from his lips, afraid that if we lost contact, he would call a halt to this. So I fisted my hands into his shirt and hauled him in after me, opening my legs and welcoming him towards my heat. I crabbed toward the driver’s side, hitting the steering lever and pushed the wheel up to give us a little extra room. He was not a small man. The thought shot another little thrill through my already highly sensitized body.

He reached backward with one arm, trying to close the door, but I pulled him towards me with all my strength. I wanted to get as much as I could before he put a stop to this. I knew he would. He was too nice a guy to let this happen. What did that say about me?

“Let me get the door,” he said against my mouth, his breathing choppy and heavy.

I released him for long enough that he could reach behind him. The door clicked and I didn’t even have to coax him back — he was there and kissing me as I strained to get closer to him. I could feel his erection digging into my wet heat through my jeans. I rubbed my aching cunt shamelessly over his rock-hard cock. I couldn’t stop the sounds of need that kept erupting from the back of my throat. I wanted him more than I’d ever wanted anything, and at this very moment I didn’t care about anything else. Not Brent. Not Cheryl. Not even the fact that I was probably making a fool of myself. There was one thing on my mind, and that was getting him into my body.

I pulled at the bottom of his T-shirt, moving it up his chest as he pushed at mind, his large, warm palm passing over my ribs. Skin met skin, but it wasn’t enough for me. I let him push my T all the way up, exposing my bra. He smoothed his hand over me, cupping my breast. I pushed myself into his hand. My nipple pearled in his palm. He gave me a soft squeeze as he hunted around back for the hooks, but my bra had a front clasp. I made a protest into his mouth as I directed this hand back around to the front. He undid my bra, setting my breast free, and he moved his mouth from my lips, down my neck, finally fastening around my nipple.

I moaned at the sensation, arching my back, giving him full access. He growled in return and I wanted to laugh out loud. This was incredible. He swirled his tongue, making me tighten even more — not only my nipple, but deep down inside me. The sensation of his lips and tongue around my breast coupled with his erection pulsing between my legs. I could almost imagine he was inside me. If not for the goddamn clothes between us, he would be. I wanted it. I wanted it now.


Swap is available now with Total E-Bound Publishing!
Buy it HERE!

Curious about H K Carlton?
Check out her website:

Author Bio:
H K Carlton lives in Canada with her hard-working hubby and three amazing children. She loves to read and write and is learning to blog and tweet. She is also a sports nut. HK is currently working on a family saga series and a contemporary romance.

You can follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AuthorHKCarlton

Email: h_kcarlton@hotmail.com

**Contest!!**
Have you ever gone ahead and done something you knew was wrong? Did you regret your decision or was it the right move for you? Share your story and you could win a copy of Swap by H K Carlton, Hidden Heat by Amy Valenti or Taken By Surprise by me!!

C'mon...don't be shy. Tell all below! A winner(s) will be randomly selected by Friday, Sept. 14th!


15 comments:

  1. Hey, H.K, and Nichelle (waves)!

    Great interview! I resonate so strongly with your "pick a genre" quandary.

    And to answer your question: When I was in college, I lived in a group house with my boyfriend of the time and four other guys. (No, it's not what you're thinking!) I was really in love with J. but once he had to go away for a week and I was really lonely. Meanwhile, one of my housemates (I'll call him G.) kept flirting with me. To make a long story short, I ended up having sex with G. Major mistake. Ultimately this broke up my relationship with J., with a lot of pain on both sides and terrible guilt on mine.

    Sigh.

    On the other hand, if J. and I hadn't split, I would never have met and married my husband... so all's well that ends well. Still, giving in to the heat of the moment does not always work out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisabet:
    Thank you for sharing. I guess we learn from our mistakes and it all worked out for best for you in the end.
    Thanks for stopping. :)
    H K

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool interview :)
    Your book sounds great, HK, best of luck with it and in finding the time to keep writing!
    BTW, I'd like to meet your brother-in-law...
    Tor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tori
    So glad you stopped by. Thank you so much.

    Yes, my brother-in-lay (hahaha, I just wrote brother-in-lay, how telling is that?!)
    As I was trying to say, is that my brother-in-law is quite fine! And an inspiration! ;)
    Thanks again, Tori
    H K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I'm sure you were just confusing it with my surname... Hmm, maybe not ;)
    He sounds pretty fine :)
    Tor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what it was, confusion with your last name. It was not a Freudian slip at all! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
      Thanks for bailing me out there, Tori!

      Delete
  6. Wow, HK, the story sounds awesome - very hot!
    This has to be hands down the most interesting question to answer that I've come across for something like this.
    To answer it, a little over ten years ago I got into a huge fight with my sister. It was something incredably stupid for me to be angry over and I took it all out on her. I screamed and cursed and called her the worst names you could possibly think of. I knew it was wrong, but I coulnd't stop, and it ruined our relationship for almost a year. I regret what I did and the harsh things I said, but (and this may sound strange) I would never take it back. Somehow, and I really don't know how, that fight brought us closer together in the end. I hate what I did, but since we've made up we've been closer than ever. She's not only my sister, but my best friend.

    I think I'm going to go call her right now.

    Again, book sounds great and I can't wait to read it :)
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Jen, that's a great outcome. Although I'm sure you both went through a year of misery in the meantime. I'm so glad that you are so close now. I know how you feel, because I also have a sister that means everything to me. She knows me inside and out, she knows all my secrets, and she loves me anyway.

    Thanks Jen, and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nichelle, Thanks for hosting me. It's been a great day! You are Simply Sexy Beautiful - inside and out.
    (((HUGS)))

    H K

    ReplyDelete
  9. H K, it truly was my pleasure having you on! I can so relate to the premise of this story. I found myself in a situation that I knew was wrong, but I couldn't help myself. The heart, body wanted what it wanted...would not be denied.

    Just like Jen, I hurt a loved one. It took years to get our relationship back on point, but for me it was the right move. I connected the love of my life and we are still together.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi HK and Nichelle. HK your story sounds HOT! Don't forget my blog is always open to fellow authors. Nichelle you have been away too long. :-)

    Contact me, my readers love hot excerpts.
    H.C. Brown

    hc.brown15@yahoo.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to think each of you for stopping by and commenting!!

    H K randomly selected winners and congrats to Heather Brown - you've got a copy of Swap coming your way! ;-)

    Congrats to Tori Ley - you've got a copy of Hidden Heat by Amy Valenti and Taken By Surprise by moi coming your way!! Your email address is needed!

    Happy reading, ladies!!

    xoxo,

    Nichelle Gregory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nichelle! Exciting stuff :D
      My email is toriley@hotmail.co.uk
      Can't wait :)
      Tor x

      Delete
  12. *sigh*

    Why doesn't blogger have an edit button??

    Make that 'thank' instead of think in my first sentence. smh :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...